Friday, December 03, 2004

Poem

Category: Literary Excursions

This comes directly from a dream I had last night-



I could hear his basso voice
As we walked through the hall into the courtyard.
We sat against the greyed sky
And as I was about to speak
His voice rose again.
Every time I talk to you, I said,
There's someone singing,
'You're a mean one, Mister Grinch.'





I don't know exactly what it means, although I gather it comes from anxiety about being understood.

This is probably some hippy idea that has been expressed so many times I should be embarrassed, but it strikes me that poetry is a more reasonable way to present dreams than prose, because prose, at least in the English-speaking world, speaks through a logic that is far less compatible with dream logic than poetry.

No comments: