Saturday, May 14, 2005

Vanity

"No matter what you think of me, you must accept that no small component of this performance is vanity- mine. I suppose some of the people in this room are my fans. Thank you. The presence of fans does little to mitigate the factors of vanity and caprice in this performance here.
"I abandoned my fans and took to seclusion. Worse, for me, at least, I abandoned my bandmates. I did so out of an exagerrated and mistaken notion of my own brilliance and musical prowess. I did so out of an antisocial desire not merely to be the loudest voice in the room, but the only one. To be honest, it was helpful for me.
"I indeed needed a bit of silence, to remember why I had forsaken a potentially lucrative and fulfilling career in medicine for a life of sleeping in vans and on strangers' couches, of smoke and beer stains, of poseurs and record companies, and of that food of the gods, rock & roll.
"As much as I cringe at the vanity of trying to bring all these back after forsaking them, I hold out hope that you will again welcome me into your hearts and ears. And, as they say every corner of this beautiful world, From Helsinki to Capetown, From Seattle to Taipei, Let's Rock!"

-Peter Rios of Owl

No comments: